SEPTEMBER IS NATIONAL PREPAREDNESS MONTH!
PLAN TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY AND PETS!
HOW TO BUILD A DISASTER SUPPLY KIT:
Keep items you will need during an emergency in an easy-to-carry container such as a large covered garbage can, backpack or duffle bag, or storage containers on wheels. These are all important items to have in an emergency kit:
- Water-1 gallon per person per day (at least 3 days supply)
- Food- Ready to eat canned meats, fruits, and vegetables, canned juices, high energy foods such as peanut butter, and comfort foods
- First Aid Kit
- Non-Prescription Drugs- Tylenol or Aspirin, anti-diarrhea medication, antacids, etc.
- Tools and Supplies- Manual can opener, utility knife, throw away utensils and plates, matches and candles, shut-off wrench to shut of utilities if necessary, medicine dropper, whistle, plastic sheeting and duct tape, paper and pencils, small fire extinguisher, extra set of keys, a list of emergency contacts.
- Flashlights and batteries
- Battery powered or manual crank radio
- Sanitation Items- Toilet paper, soap, plastic bucket with tight lid, household bleach and disinfectant
- Clothing and Bedding-Sturdy shoes or work boots, rain gear, blankets, thermal wear, gloves and hats, eye protection, and face masks
- For Baby- Formula, diapers, bottles, powdered milk, and medications
- Prescription medications and a list of current medications
- Games to keep children and adults occupied
- Important family documents
Store your kit in a convenient location and don’t forget about food and water for your pet!